The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) offers free business courses to guide NYC entrepreneurs through each step to start, operate, and grow a business.
- On every core topic in entrepreneurship, including business planning, financing, marketing, and management.
- In many languages, including Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Korean, Haitian Creole, French, Bengali, and Arabic. [Learn more about our services for immigrant entrepreneurs.]
- Online and in-person, so you can learn when and where it’s most convenient to you.
Online Business Education
The NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) has partnered with Coursera to offer free online business courses developed by industry experts at the world’s best universities.
If you’re an aspiring or current business owner in NYC, you can learn how to plan, finance, market, and manage your business anytime, anywhere.
Our course programs include:
- Building Your Own Business helps aspiring entrepreneurs turn their idea into a viable business.
- Operating and Financing Your Business helps entrepreneurs who are ready to launch or already operating a business to plan their operations, manage their finances, and access financing.
- Mastering Marketing & Sales helps entrepreneurs who are ready to launch or already operating a business to master sales and marketing strategies, and tactics.
- Managing & Leading People helps existing business owners learn to recruit, hire, and manage employees, and develop leadership and communication skills.
- Achieving Your Growth Potential helps growth-seeking business owners identify growth opportunities, create a growth plan, and communicate the plan to their team, stakeholders, and customers.
- Live or operate a business in New York City.
- Can devote at least two hours a week for at least four weeks to complete a course.
- Have an internet-connected device to use to complete the course.
How to Apply:
- Complete this 3-minute application. The form will guide you to the right course program for your business needs.
- Wait for an email that will confirm your eligibility and invite you to your selected course program.
- Accept the email invitation and create an account,
- Access the course program that appears in your account and enroll in a course of your choosing.
Learn how to keep your business finances on track. If you need help managing your business finances or are looking for financing, our team can help you.
Learn how to set your business apart, build an online presence, or develop a marketing plan.
Selling to Government Courses
Learn how to certify your business and compete for business opportunities within the City, State, and Federal government.