Sending Money to Destitute U.S. Citizens Overseas

If you need to get money to a destitute U.S. citizen outside the United States, you have a number of available options. See available options below:


  • Contact the individual’s bank and arrange to add funds to the person’s account.
  • Contact the individual’s credit card company to ask for a temporary credit limit increase.
  • Arrange for immediate replacement of a lost/stolen credit card.  Express delivery may take 2-3 business days.
  • Identify a commercial money transfer company that operates in/near the city where the individual is located. There are money transfer cost comparison tools online to help you identify your best option. 
    NOTE: The individual must typically present identification to collect funds; this channel may not be an option if identification is lost or stolen.

If the options above are not viable, the U.S. Department of State may be able to help transfer funds

Read More